100 Types of Arthritis
It’s likely, that if you hear someone mention the word Arthritis, you immediately think of Rheumatoid or possibly Osteoarthritis, two of the most common arthralgia. Did you know that there are actually over 100 different forms of arthritis? Some forms are a direct result of another disease such as Lyme disease. Some of these, you may have heard of but didn’t realize it was an arthritis. Here’s a short list.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Sjogren’s Syndrome
- Did you know that for every one pound of weight you lose, you take 4 pounds of pressure off your knees? That’s significant and might be a great motivator to get in shape. “According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services there is strong evidence indicating that both endurance and resistance types of exercise provide considerable disease-specific benefits for people with osteoarthritis (OA) and rheumatic conditions.” (arthritis.org)
- Try a variety of pain relief plans to find one that fits you best. Here are a few ideas to try:
- Warm baths
- Alternating hot and cold water soaks. Fill one sink with hot water and another with cold. Soak the affected joint for 3-4 minutes in each.
- Try a hot paraffin wax coating. This might be risky to try at home but your local spa typically offers this treatment.
- Low level, warm wraps are a popular trend right now. The heat can last up to 8 hours.
- Over the counter pain relievers such as Ibuprofen and Tylenol.
- Balance your life and rest when needed